The return of the cold weather means that it is the perfect time to start cooking up some more soups that are nutritious and filling. A great addition to your usual rotation of soup recipes is the following lentil and cabbage soup, which is packed with vitamins, minerals, and protein.
The Benefits of Lentils and Cabbage
Before we get to the recipe, let’s discuss a few of the many benefits of having more cabbage and lentils in your diet.
Lentils contain plenty of fiber, which could benefit your digestive tract and your cardiovascular health. They could also help lower your cholesterol to a healthy level and stabilize your blood sugar. Plus, lentils are also high in protein and great if you are trying to lose some extra weight.
In addition to being tasty and versatile, cabbage contains high amounts of vitamin C, fiber, sulfur, and antioxidants. All of these nutrients help to support your overall health and maintain a healthy weight.
The Super Simple Recipe
You might think that a lentil and cabbage soup would be complicated, but it doesn’t have to be at all. This easy recipe will have you digging into some nutritious hot soup in no time at all, and your entire family is sure to love all of the flavors in it.
1. Start by heating ½ tablespoon of coconut oil in a large soup pot over medium heat. Then add in a cup of chopped onions and cook them until they are tender.
2. Stir in ½ tablespoon of minced garlic, a teaspoon of basil, and a bay leaf. Cook this mixture for about 2 minutes before adding in a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar.
3. Next, add in 4 cups of vegetable stock (we recommend a low sodium version), along with 28 ounces of canned whole peeled tomatoes. You can break the tomatoes up before adding them in to the mixture. Also throw in a teaspoon of miso, ½ teaspoon of sriracha, and ½ head of green cabbage.
4. Bring this mixture to a boil before reducing the heat and simmering for a minimum of 30 minutes.
5. The next step involves simply adding in 1 1/3 cup of cooked green lentils. Simmer the soup for another 20 minutes before seasoning with pepper and salt. Serve warm and dig in!
So there you have it: an easy and affordable lentil and cabbage soup recipe that is perfect for any cold weather day.